Sandwich Recipes You Can Sink Your Teeth Into - Savory Meat Loaf With Sweet Ketchup Bacon Topping

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Today's economy demands that we stretch and make the most of our food dollars. Leftovers that end up in the trash can might as well be your hard earned food dollars staring back up at you. Cook foods that make great use of leftovers. One of these foods popular at my house is delicious savory meat loaf, which makes terrific sandwiches the day after.

It is my opinion that meat loaf sandwiches taste better if the loaf is made the day before. If I am making the dish specifically with plans for sandwiches, I have to preserve the sandwich portions prior to serving the meal because this main dish disappears quickly at our dinner table. If there are no leftovers, I cannot serve meat loaf sandwiches.

Meat Loaf

I have often made two loaves at once, served the dinner meal, and preserved the second loaf specifically for sandwiches. The main meal usually consists of homemade mashed potatoes, the meat loaf, brown gravy, English peas, soft white bread slices, and sweet iced tea.

My family likes to spread their plates with a layer of mashed potatoes, a second layer of sliced meat, and a third layer of brown gravy. They like to drag the bread slices through the brown gravy. After the evening meal, I slice any leftover meat into sandwich size portions, pack in a plastic container, seal, and refrigerate.

There are different ways to prepare a meat loaf sandwich depending on your taste. I spread soft white bread slices with a generous layer of mayonnaise. I add a light layer of prepared horseradish along with some mustard. I sprinkle the slices with fresh ground black pepper. I very slightly warm the meat slice, getting it just to room temperature. I place the meat on the sandwich, and that's about it.

Some people prefer it without the mayonnaise. Some folks like to add a slice of tomato and some lettuce. My family sometimes adds crisp bacon slices, more sweet ketchup, or even a light layer of warmed mashed potatoes.

If you need a good hearty meat loaf recipe to start with, I'll post a handy link for you at the end of this article. You do not have to be a gourmet cook to make a great meat loaf sandwich. It just takes a few minutes of your time.

There so many different sandwich fillings you can make. This particular sandwich is a hearty one that really satisfies a hunger and tastes great. After writing about meat loaf sandwiches, I want one now, so I am off to the freezer to thaw out some ground beef.

Sandwich Recipes You Can Sink Your Teeth Into - Savory Meat Loaf With Sweet Ketchup Bacon Topping

You can grab a copy of Savory Meat Loaf with Sweet Ketchup Bacon Topping at The Rancher's Daughter

Laura Brown is a freelance author living in southern Alabama. She loves to cook and share her recipes with others.

REPRINT RIGHTS statement: This article is free for republishing by visitors provided the Author Bio box is retained as usual so that all links are Active/Linkable with no syntax changes.

Recommend : farberware cookware set 10 piece all clad ltd double burner griddle presto 8 quart pressure cooker

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Meat Loaf Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino