Country Cooking Comforts - Pinto Beans, Turnip Greens, and Cornbread

Friday, September 16, 2011

Having grown up and lived in the south all my life, I've eaten my share of country cooking. After I left home and went out on my own, I found there were many country cooking comforts I'd left behind. As the years passed, I collected recipes, especially from my mom, and spent countless hours in the kitchen doing something I love, which is cooking.

I do believe in eating healthy as often as possible. However, some of the foods mentioned in this article contain butter, bacon, bacon grease, salt, and so forth. So if you are watching your salt and fat intake, some of these dishes may not be for you or may require modifications. Alterations, however, will affect flavor.

Here's a rundown of some of my country cooking favorites:

Pinto beans and cornbread served with a fresh large green onion and hot chow-chow
Turnip greens topped with crumbled bacon, a halved boiled egg, and Texas Pete® pepper sauce
Fried green tomatoes
Fried pork chops smothered in white gravy and served with biscuits
Tomato gravy
Green beans cooked with small white potatoes
Open face biscuits with sausage patties smothered in white gravy
Day old cornbread served in a tall glass of cold buttermilk
Salt cured ham served on homemade biscuits
Fresh cooked corn on the cob slathered in butter, then salted and peppered
Skillet cooked cabbage in bacon grease
Country fried steak served with white gravy, sliced tomatoes, and biscuits
Savory beef and pork meat loaf with bacon-ketchup-brown sugar topping, served with mashed potatoes topped with brown gravy, and hot buttered rolls
Homemade beef stew with fresh white bread slices and cold iced tea

The Secret's in the Seasoning

Seasoning is an important part of country cooking, just as it is with any other type of cuisine. Not every country recipe has to include bacon and/or butter. For example, let's take a closer look at the seasonings in my recipe for the down home country cooked green beans I was accustomed to eating growing up.

You can use either canned or fresh green beans. If I am using canned beans, I opt for Green Giant® or another quality brand, preferably the variety of can with the white interior lining. I usually get the large sized can and two regular sized cans of white whole potatoes.

I place the beans in the pot, liquid and all, and add one or two beef bouillon cubes. You may need to add some water depending on how much liquid the can contained; beans should start out just barely covered or with water level even with top of beans.

I add some cooking oil; I don't typically measure things like this but my guess would be about a tablespoon or so. I simmer them until the liquid is about halfway gone, then I drain the potatoes and add them to the pot.

I shake the pot gently so the potatoes slip down in the remaining liquid. You don't want to stir because it will tear up the potatoes. I cook until hardly any liquid remains; then I turn off the heat and cover until dinner time. They are even better after they sit a bit.

Southern cooks are frequently accused of cooking foods until they are depleted of their nutrients. This may or may not be true, and if it is then it is probably more so with some dishes than others. It is a matter of personal preference and I happen to like my green beans cooked this way and so does my family.

I am planning to cook green beans tonight, and they will be served along with chilled deviled eggs, whole green onions, sliced and salted fresh red tomatoes, homemade coleslaw, cornbread, and iced tea with fresh lemon slices. My husband is already asking what time we are going to eat!




Bridgett Barnett is a regular contributor to various culinary blogs and forums. She is a frequent guest blogger at the country cooking and country living website "The Ranchers Daughter." You'll find there a terrific recipe for Pinto Beans and Cornbread and another for Savory Meat Loaf with sweet ketchup bacon topping. Yum Yum!

Recommend : circulon 2 10 piece cookware set le creuset 9 piece cookware set

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Meat Loaf Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino