Trying to Recreate Mama's Meatloaf by Finding the Secretive Cracker Barrel Meatloaf Recipe

Monday, March 7, 2011

They don't call it comfort food for nothing. Fried chicken, pot roast, sweet potatoes, any of those simple things that my grandmother (Mama) used to make, bring me right back to being care-free, relaxed kid. I think the best was the meatloaf. Since Mama died I've been hard-pressed to find a decent meatloaf that could take the place of her delicious creation. I fortunately found it at Cracker Barrel. Not only do they have the best pancakes and other breakfast items, but their meatloaf was out of this world, making me think of summer, gathering vegetables from the garden, getting yelled at for picking the apple blossoms off the trees, swinging in the tire swing, and all of those other cliched memories of childhood.

I thought I could bring some of that comfort to my family with a good old fashioned meatloaf dinner. Since Mama was so secretive of her recipes (out of pure spite, it seemed), trying to duplicate hers was out of the question, so I decided to try to find the Cracker Barrel meatloaf recipe.

Meat Loaf

Once again, while setting out to find an official restaurant recipe, I am immediately at a crossroads when several 'real' meatloaf recipes fill my screen. After the years it took to find a replacement meatloaf, I was discouraged to think I would have to make several meatloafs to find the right one. But I had the time, and figured it would be well worth it if I could bring back a little of Mama to the dinner table.

However, after several tries, Mama was decidedly not at the dinner table. I could hear her laughter in my head as we all took bite after bite of meatloaf that was dry and crumbly or otherwise inedible. I could see her mouth forming the words "I told you so."

I wouldn't give up though. Mama was going to be memorialized and she was going to like it! I would find that Cracker Barrel meatloaf recipe!

Finally a friend recommended a book to me that had all of the "official" recipes in it from famous food chains like Cracker Barrel. Of course we were skeptical but guess what? It's the real deal!

Ingredients

* 2 eggs
* 2/3 cup milk
* 32 Ritz crackers, crushed
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
* 1/2 cup ketchup
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon mustard

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Beat eggs. Add milk and crackers. Stir in onion and cheese. Add ground beef. Mix well. Shape into a loaf.
3. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes Combine topping and spoon half over meatloaf after 30 mins of baking. Spoon the rest of the topping over meatloaf after another 10 mins of baking, return to oven and bake for 5-10 mins more.

Trying to Recreate Mama's Meatloaf by Finding the Secretive Cracker Barrel Meatloaf Recipe

How would you like to recreate the most famous popular recipes at home? This famous cookbook exposes all of the most famous and most delicious secret recipes on the planet including restaurants such as Cracker Barrel. Don't waste your time like I did!

Click here to check it out

Tags : cuisinart multiclad pro stainless steel 12 piece

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Meat Loaf Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino